Have you ever wondered if you could swim around Chandos Lake? At 55 km of shoreline, that’s probably not feasible for any of us to consider. But if we work together this summer, tracking our cumulative swimming distances, we could do it! That’s what the “Around Chandos Lake” Swim Challenge is all about.
Whether you’re swimming freestyle or the dog paddle, a kilometre or a few metres, at your cottage or Chandos Beach – everyone, and any age, can jump in and join the fun!
Swimmers are welcome to sign up throughout the summer – even if you’re only here for a few weekends, a short rental period, or a 2-week vacation – any distances, no matter how small, will help us swim “around” Chandos Lake.
There are four simple steps to participate:
- Sign up as an individual or member of a team (family, cottage, friends)
- Swim (Swimming responsibly at all times. e.g. with a spotter, never alone.)
- Keep track of your distance in metres (as accurately as possible, rounding up when necessary)
- Submit your total distance for the week using the honour system. (Each Friday, participants submit their total swimming distance for the previous 7 days using an online form that they receive when they sign up.)
Date: Swimming distances will be tracked for 63 days from Sat. June 29 at 7:00 am to Fri. Aug. 30 at 7:00 pm
Sat. Aug. 31 – Results will be announced at the Chandos Lake Corn & Wiener Roast (4 pm)
What counts as participation?
- As long as your arms and/or legs are moving, any style can be used – Freestyle, Breaststroke, Backstroke, Butterfly, Dog-paddle – assisted by fins, swim noodles, flutter boards, life jackets, water wings
- Face in or out of the water, with or without goggles or swim mask
What doesn’t count as participation?
- Dipping your toe in the water
- Floating on an air mattress
- Swimming in a pool or another lake